Friday, April 9, 2010

Grow Where You're Planted

“Grow where you are planted” – Proverb

I think this is the hardest thing for me to master. I like to think I have the ability to uproot and go plant myself somewhere new to grow. That is not always as simple as it sounds. As a child, I always thought as an adult I would be able to go, be and do whatever I wanted. Now I realize it is not so easy. So, I am left to struggle with contentment.

Trying to find things to be thankful for in Memphis is not always easy. I actually avoid the nightly news just so that I can have a more optimistic approach to the city. Last night I saw a documentary on Shelby Farms. It was a past, present and future approach to the legacy of the park. I particularly enjoyed seeing the future of the park and all of the new plans for development. It was really exciting. It is one of the things I am most grateful for in Memphis. I love going to the park and walking around. It is usually the first place I take people who come to visit me. Since our city has the awful reputation of being so dangerous, I like to show people a softer side to the city. I think the park does a wonderful job of bringing people together and I think when the plans are finished it will connect the city in a very positive way.

The city itself might not have a very positive image, but I have to recognize all of the things that make this city very special to me. I have a great job here, I have a beautiful park to play in, I have wonderful friends and there is always something to do here. So today I am going to try to grow where I am planted.

Things I am grateful for about Memphis:

1. Shelby Farms and Shelby Forrest.

2. The music scene and Beal Street.

3. The beautiful river walk on a summer day.

4. All of the activities for runners and cyclists.

5. Macy’s. I love to live down the street from Macy’s.

6. Whole Foods market. I love organic apples.

7. The Farmers Market downtown.

8. FedEx. I love my job.

9. All of the amazing local restaurants and bars.

10. FedEx Forum, concerts and the Grizzly’s.

11. Tiger’s Basket Ball.

12. The Zoo. It is my second favorite Zoo next to the St. Louis Zoo. I <3 our Pandas.

13. Estate Sales. The best around. You can find any and everything!!

14. Sheffield’s Antique Mall in Collierville. I love that place. So many dishes!

15. An Airport that can get you most anywhere you want to go.

16. Midtown / Cooper Young restaurants with patios in the spring.

17. That we have Craigslist. You can find all kinds of cool stuff on there.

18. All of the culture and heritage.

19. Our wonderful legal community.

20. Last but most important, all of the wonderful friends that I have made.


Cyn

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your Purple Promise award from FedEx, which led me to your blog. I think there's a lot of room in the blawgosphere for a paralegal who promotes the power of positive-thinking, and probably has some awesome customer service tips to share, something we all need to be reminded of occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't laugh at me, but I just saw this post. I think I could create a paralegal blog...that is a very good idea. :-) Thanks for the idea and the congrats!! Cynthia :-)

      Delete